WHAT IS A SAN SSL CERTIFICATE?
A SAN certificate allows you to custom build an SSL certificate for your server security needs. This allows you to secure a combination of domain names, subdomains, IP addresses and local host names by adding them to the SAN field during enrolment.
The different types of SAN are:
- Unified Communication - or UC, mail server addresses:
- All other IP addresses ranging from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
- staging.ssl27.com etc...
- www.ssl247.co.uk and around 278 other TLD's
The number of SANs you can secure varies dependent
on the CA:
- With a Symantec or Thawte SAN certificate you can combine up to 25 items.
- With a Comodo SAN certificate you can combine up to 210 items.
- With a GlobalSign SAN certificate you can combine up to 200 items.
- With GeoTrust you can combine up to 100 items.
They are often used for Unified Communications (UC) as they are perfect for securing Microsoft Exchange(up to 2013), SharePoint (up to 2013), Lync (up to 2013), and Office Communications Server 2007/2010.A SAN will secure, for example:
A SAN SSL certificate will also secure the follow services with ease:
- Outlook Anywhere
- Unified Messaging
The benefits of a SAN certificate is the ability to secure everything with just one certificate. This makes the installation and management
processes far easier. For example you can secure all these domains with just one SAN certificate:
A SAN will also secureservers within your intranet name and hostnames.
Unlike with a Wildcard, you aren’t limited in the sense that everything you want secured has to share the same domain name. A SAN will secure multiple domain names as well as subdomains. Also, a SAN will support Extended Validation so you can reap the benefits of the green bar of trust on your website and the increased customer trust that comes with it.
Customers are also protected on the move as SAN certificates are fully compatible with mobile browsers such as smartphones and PDAs.
Here’s a list of all our SAN products:
- Symantec Site Pro EV with SAN
- Symantec Site EV with SAN
- Symantec Site Pro with SAN
- Symantec Secure Site with SAN