What are the essential ways in creating a CSR for Netscape iPlanet 4.0+
To generate a CSR, you will need to create a key pair for your server. These two items are a digital certificate key pair and cannot be separated. If you lose your public/private key file or your password and generate a new one, your SSL Certificate will no longer match. You will have to request a new SSL Certificate and may be charged.
We recommend that you contact the iPlanet vendor for additional information.
Step 1: Create a Key Database
- Select the server instance to manage and click Manage.
- Click Security
- Click Create Database
- Enter and confirm a password to protect this database.
Step 2: Generate a CSR
- Click Request a Certificate
- Enter your email address as the CA Email address.
- Enter a key pair file password to protect your keys. This can be the same password as the key database.
- Fill out all of the CSR information, and click OK.
This step will prompt for the following X.509 attributes of the certificate:
Common Name – Must match the URL you plan to secure exactly – is usually your fully-qualified domain name, e.g., devel.ssl247.co.uk or mail.devel.ssl247.co.uk). Remember the www. Is important – include it if you want to secure https://www.yoursite.com & exclude it if you want to secure https://yoursite.com
Organisation - The legal (officially registered) name of your organization/company include Inc., LLP., Pvt, Plc. Ltd. SARL., etc
Organisational unit - The name of your department within the organization (this is often "IT," "Web," or is just left blank).
City/locality - The city or town in which your organization is located.
State/province - The state in which your organization is located.
Country - Click here for the official list of ISO country codes for this field.
Certificates can only be used on Web servers using the Common Name specified during enrollment. For example, a certificate for the domain "domain.com" will receive a warning if accessing a site named "www.domain.com" or "secure.domain.com", because "www.domain.com" and "secure.domain.com" are different from "domain.com".
- The server will generate the CSR and display it on the page. To copy and paste the information into the enrollment form, open the file in a text editor that does not add extra characters (Notepad or Vi are recommended).
- Click Apply to commit the changes. You have just created a key pair and a CSR.
- Go to Enrollment.